As a Family Home Agency (FHA), Community Options, Incorporated (COI) recruits, trains, and certifies family homes to provide services to developmentally disabled adults. COI provides on-going case management services to people living in our certified family homes. Community Living Coordinators (CLCs) work with families and the people we serve to facilitate a life person-centered plan that includes their participation in choosing where they live, work, play, and worship.
COI’s Certified Family Homes provide a clean and comfortable place to live including:
- Three nutritious meals per day and at least two snacks in between
- Basic toiletries
- Laundry services & supports
- On-going supervision and support
- Assistance and arrangement of medical care
- Support & guidance towards self-care & independence
- Social, recreational, and community integrated activities
- Transportation to meet individual needs
Additional services provided by COI to clients and certified family homes may include the following:
- Consultant Services – Registered nurses, dietitians, therapists, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Psychologists, and Pharmacists are available.
- Integration and Inclusion – Specialists on staff provide additional social and recreational opportunities with a community integration focus for the people we serve. This also provides respite for the certified family home provider.
- On-going training – Family Home Providers and COI employees receive ongoing training some of which may be individualized to meet the needs of the clientele they are serving.
Determining Client/Family Compatibility
One of the most important factors in determining a Family Home for the people we serve lies in the matching process. Special consideration is given to the client’s likes/dislikes, values, culture, religion, activity level, hobbies, etc. when assessing COI’s services. These preferences are identified through a person-centered process, taking into consideration each individuals lifestyle and future aspirations. Special needs of each client are matched with the special expertise of the family home provider. Between teamwork, person-centered planning, and opportunities for visitations before placement, moving into a family home can be a successful and comfortable experience.
The Role of the Client & Their Natural Family
Community Options, Incorporated (COI) believes that the client and their natural family drive the direction of services. The client’s natural family is encouraged to take an active role in their family member’s life. Respect is given to the people we serve and family preferences, culture, religion, and personal values. Natural families can play a valuable role in the person-centered process that is so important for determining and providing quality service and support. Family visits, letters, and calls are very much welcomed.